The Fate of the Old Chamber
During its time as a Bank, the building
underwent a number of physical changes. The first major adaptations
were in the 1870s and included the removal of the ceiling of the
Chamber to open the room up to the roof and the insertion of a lantern
(a large skylight) to create an imposing Banking Hall in the old
Chamber. The building was also repainted in a fashionable (and expensive)
shade of blue and later repapered with new and contemporary wallpaper.
Following the financial collapse of Dumbell's Bank in 1900, bringing
ruin to a considerable number of companies and private investors,
the building was taken over by Parr's Bank.
One of the most noticeable visual changes to the building was made
in the 1910s - 1920s, when the exterior render was removed to expose
The building continued to be used as a bank and in the 1960s, the
upper floor was put back into the old Chamber. It was later used
as the home of the Castletown Commissioners and the Castletown Rural