18th century saw the Castle's gradual decay and, later, its conversion
into the lsland's prison. Its decline was only arrested at the turn
of this century when, under the watchful eye of the then Lieutenant
Governor, Lord Raglan, the accretions of the last few hundred years
were stripped away to reveal the medieval structure. The Castle
has also served as an administrative centre, including use as a
mint to make local coinage in the 18th century, and culminating
in its continued use as the lsland's southern lawcourt.
Following the construction of a purpose-built prison
for the Island in 1891 and the restoration work of Lord Raglan,
the Castle was handed over by the British Crown to the Manx Government
in 1929, to be administered by its properties division.
of the Castle was vested in the Manx Museum and National Trust in
1988 when the restoration and redisplay of Castle Rushen was undertaken
by Manx National Heritage.
In July 1991 the newly restored Castle was opened by The Rt. Hon.
The Earl of Derby mc., as the first major Manx heritage site to
be fully presented as part of the award-winning "Story of Mann."
Go to Roundheads'
Invasion - April 2001|
Return to Wall Hangings